Based in Copenhagen, Denmark
Early Summer, 2013
Wii U™ (Nintendo eShop)
DescriptionSpin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party is a party game for Wii U™ supporting up to 8 players. The game pushes the players' attention away from the screen and onto each other with a series of collaborative micro challenges where players have to look at each other in order to win. The players sit in a circle around the Wii U™ GamePad and spin a virtual bottle in order to pair up two random players to take a challenge. The challenges are carried out with Wii Remotes and might involve tight coordination, daring trust, body contact or extreme flexibility.
HistoryThe people behind KnapNok Games have since 2008 been part of Copenhagen Game Collective and developed experimental party games such as Dark Room Sex Game (an awkward no-graphics erotic rhythm game) and B.U.T.T.O.N. (a roughhouse game about pushing buttons and cheating. The fact that the Wii U™ console is the first console which let you play with turned off TV screen makes it an obvious platform for a party game where players look at each other rather than the screen. KnapNok Games naturally decided to embrace this opportunity and design a party game for the young and the adault audince. KnapNok Games teamed up with Swedish indie studio Redgrim. When Redgrim’s artist, Simon Gustafsson, is not re-watching his collection of “Two and a Half Men”* he cranks out amazing graphics designs. *See additional link
- Play while the TV is turned off! Use only the Wii U™ GamePad and Wii Remotes.
- Gameplay that makes the players look at each other.
- Über cute graphics.
- Crispy music by Swedish musician/hacker Nicklas Ström.
- Innocent game for innocent kids.
Spin the Bottle for Wii U™ teaser YouTube
Wii U™ Spin the Bottle teaser II YouTube
Wii U™ Hands-on: Spin the Bottle (GDC 2013) YouTube
Awards & Recognition
- "Best in Play @ GDC Play" San Francisco, USA
- "Any game that encourages me to hug and dance with other people is ok in my book."
- Jesse Cortez, gaygamer.net
- "You should definitely keep your eye on this gem (that received one of our five Drool Awards) when it comes out for the Wii U’s eshop in July."
- Yamilia Avendano, Twinfinite
- "These mini-games often involve pushing players' comfort zones, to hilarious and awkward results. "
- Jake Weston, Gamrreview
- "It incorporates a new element of social gaming that I have yet to see leveraged on any traditional console."
- Rob, wiiudaily.com
- "Like We Dare, only not rubbish."
- Jeffrey Matulef, eurogamer.net
- "Spin the Bottle for the Wii U Makes You Get Close. Sexy Close."
- Luke Plunkett, kotaku.com
- "Danish developer KnapNok Games is transforming classic make out game Spin the Bottle into a Wii U party game."
- Michael McWhertor, polygon.com
- "this opens the door to the sort of play that doesn’t need a screen, but still benefits from accelerometers, gyroscopes, and a central scoring system."
- Ben Kuchera, penny-arcade.com
- "The Wii U is getting weirdo indie projects right from the jump"
- JC Fletcher, joystiq.com
- "More good news [..] for indie-loving fans."
- Brandon Boyer, venuspatrol.com
- "Spin the Bottle could be your new favorite Wii U drinking game"
- Jamin Warren, killscreendaily.com
- "Wii U gets a sexier form of J.S. Joust in Spin the Bottle"
- John Polson, indiegames.com
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About KnapNok Games
KnapNok Games has experience with developing games for social and physical digital game platforms such as: Wii U™, Microsoft Xbox Kinect, smartphones, and PC. Since its existence, Knapnok Games has worked on developing games for new interfaces. They haven’t settled for one genre or platform but rather made an effort of exploring the potential of new and novel interfaces. Examples of their developed games are: award winning party game B.U.T.T.O.N. for Steam and XBLIG, WiiWare™ game Paint Plash, Kinect demo Slowmo Showdown, Wii U™ (Nintendo eShop) game Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party, etc. Knapnok Games’ vision is to establish itself as a small innovative studio expert in creating rich and engaging games for new and untraditional interfaces and input devices. The team recognizes large market potential for physical digital games designed for social contexts that makes the players the center of attention rather than the TV screen. Therefore, they are continuously experimenting and iterating on multiple interaction and gameplay approaches for physical interfaces.
More information on KnapNok Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Spin the Bottle: Bumpie's Party Credits
Game designer, KnapNok Games
Visual Designer, Redgrim
Programmer, KnapNok Games
Producer, KnapNok Games
Additional Programming, Redgrim
Wii U and WiiWare are trademarks of Nintendo. © 2012 Nintendo.